DIY Book Page Dahlia Medallion

14.4.15

I have found a new passion for the Dahlia flower. It is just simply beautiful! 

I am in the process of drawing one for my tattoo idea & while searching ideas, colors & all that jazz I found a DIY for one! 

Here is my Dahlia Medallion. 

Here is the jest of the materials that you will need to create your own.


an old book...choose the smaller one
some cardboard...I recommend something strong than the cereal box I used
scissors
tape, hot glue gun, stapler (w/ staples :)
x-acto knife or box cutter
& patience

I used a lid from a storage container to trace my circle. I would say I did a medium size circle...any larger and my medallion would be consider, well HUGE in my books. So trace that & cut it out. 

To get ready, cut heaps of pages from your book. Just run your X-ACTO knife along the edge of the binding of your old book. 

This might take a few rolls to get use to. Find a roll pattern that you like and can repeat over & over & over & over more times that you will want to. 
I held my pages horizontally & rolled from the left. 

Roll more than you think. My first circle held over 30 of these lovely little "petals".

Once you have a good amount you can start stapling them to your cardboard circle. Keep them close together, tight & the same distance around the entire circle.

I am not perfect either, no worries. It will still turn out beautiful! Just make sure you line up the tops of the "petals", don't worry too much about the area being stapled- not going to see it anyways! 

Okay, one (annoying) layer done! 
now the next....roll more as needed! I liked to get a bunch ready and than tape away. Yes, tape. You should probably hot glue or super glue but I wanted to get one made do have it. When I do this again I will be using my hot glue gun to hold this lovely creation together.
I did in total 5 rows of petal. I keep them all the same size besides my 5 row where I cut my pages in half. Rows 1-4 just adjust the petal in more for each row and glue in place. Make sure you put each row of petals between & lower the previous row.
For the center I cut one of the rolls way down and used the extra pieces inside of it to add the petaled look in the center of the flower. You could do whatever you want. Add a button, wire, metal, bottle cap, felt...the options are endless here- get creative! 
Yay! So fun! I loved the turn out. I can't wait to make another one! I want to do a set of three smaller ones with a metallic trim on the pages. 

Ryan & I decided to hang it here. 
It fit perfect & help with all the empty space we had above our TV & fireplace.

Make your own medallion.....or take the easy route & ask me to do it for you! Other fun options for these medallions coming soon! I want to hear your ideas or color requests too! 

If you are more of a step my step person be sure to check out Jennifer Kelly's Enchanted Petal blog on her How to make a Paper Flower Medallion. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs