DIY Coffee Table

9.4.15

If you read my blog regularly, you know that I enjoy DIY & normally drag Ryan into it....actually I go to do it & he takes over thinking that I will mess it up. Secretly- that is my plan all along! I find a DIY project that I could easily do but I know that Mr. Perfect over here will want to do it his way....win, win!

Since have have move into our Cambridge apartment we have used this wicker trunk as our coffee table...

than we put our old headboard on top of it to use...


While getting my Monday inspiration via Pinterest, I came across a few DIY coffee tables that I liked. Ryan & I got discussing them, tossing around our ideas & Ryan decided to just go off what he was thinking rather than use any of the free DIY plans I had found :) .... Luckily I normally end up loving it. It takes us a bit to get on the same page. We can see the end result of what we want immediately but we takes VERY different paths of getting there, so the planning is normally something that is...entertaining. 


Our building work space was rather similar to my DIY blanket ladder set up.

Ryan was creative with his sawing station.



This is what happens when I ask Ryan to take photos....he takes selfies. 
& he thought I wouldn't really post this.

We decided to make it a tradition to have a Sunday Build Day with yummy treats. 

We build two rectangular ends for support. 


Our original plans for the top had changed MULTIPLE times while at home depot... we ended up with this one because it was pre-cut, smooth, had character and adds a sleek look to the table. 

We choose casters that had rubber wheels. These were not my first choice but we compromised :) 

Then this happened! REALLY! Luckily we have more but seriously....

Once we had it all screwed together, our table looked  like this. Here you see the rough idea of what it will look like. The top here is not screwed or glued on yet. We are adding angled accents to the ends before we finish the top. 

Apparently this is Ryan's new thinking spot. He had to really get in there to think about the angle & how to do it with just a pencil & a saw....no true measuring tools for angles. We keep failing on picking some up no that our home improvement store visits have diminished down to 
once a month if that! 

He took to his sketch pad, drawing & doing math...
While I just flipped up the coffee table onto its side and laied the 2x4 down flat. I adjusted the angle of the 2x4 until it was placed in the middle & we had the right angle. Ryan quickly caught on to what I was doing and traced the lines with a pencil to mark the angles needed. 
This is the way my mind works- my brain goes towards visual references, NOT MATH! That is where we are VERY different, Ryan even mentioned that the math he was doing was easy & fun....tell a creative minded, dyslexic girls that, I just laughed. 

While I was at an event, Ryan worked on the angle and finished screwing and glueing it all together. 



Here it is! Only thing left to do is to stain it...but we need some warmer weather & rain free days before I tackle that!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs