Uncommon artwork

9.12.14



It all started with me hearing the words....."I would like to commission you....." 

One day I was getting my classroom ready for the day when a parent of a former student walked in. She normally stops by to chat so I didn't think anything of it.....until I heard her ask me to do some paintings for their home that they were remodeling. Weeks went by and I was left with no new news on this commission work. The right day came along, their house was being close to done and BAM!
3 custom paintings it is! 

The family is now in their new...which is beautiful by the way. I am designing 3 mixed media paintings for each of the children's rooms. 

First is a lady walking an octopus. Its leash is "kelp" (green string from the gardening section).
When completed this watercolor/ mixed media will be all put together on wood with some vibrant green moss aligning the bottom edge of the wood to create a fun "walking to the park" look....
The beginning:
18x24 watercolor paper

the octopus

also watercolor paper

I used watercolor pencils and added some actual watercolor paint to the areas I wanted to stand out more 

up close, you can see the watercolor pencil lines...which I left/loved in the hair

This painting is going a young girl who has the most creative ways of wearing all kinds of dresses so I thought....yup-walking an octopus in a long beautiful dress


the octopus once the color was added 


various stages


This is after they were all cut out. Now they are just waiting to be added to the reclaimed wood with the moss accented bottom. 


& the dragon begins.......I have never drew a dragon before until this....from what I can recall at least. 

after over 6 hours of sketching, erasing, drawing, editing, advise and tweaking....the dragon started coming together....

...once I felt more in the dragon zone I started adding color

And detailed the eye requested by the girl who will soon have this massive dragon in her room

Getting there....

When I have arthritis later in life remind me I drew all these scales...

And than traced them and accented them with water colored pencils 
I can NOT WAIT to do the wings! I found this transparent paper that has some white detailing on it....I trace the current sketch of the wings onto the paper I will be using for the wings.....so the wings with have a fun transparent look allowing some of the wood grain to show through as well.


One day I will have a professional cutter that will cut out everything for me...


To be continued....

Stay tuned to keep living uncommonly with Amanda Adams! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs