DIY Fixer Upper Home Decor & Inspiration

7.4.15


When we first moved to Boston we were living out of a hotel room for about the first 2 weeks.... with all the snow storms, catching a cold & having to branding to work on, I was in our room a lot! This is when I first encountered Fixer Upper. First off- I wish was doing what Chip & Joanna do on that show. They honestly are talented, seem to be fun & happy people who create beautiful spaces! I mean BEAUTIFUL! One of my favorite little home decor accent pieces on the Fixer Uppers was this:
Fixer Upper: A Craftsman Remodel for Coffeehouse Owners | HGTV
From their Remodel for the Coffee House . I remembering seeing it on the show & ended up finding it on Pinterest .

So, of course I had to make my own! We have a pile of wooden shingles left over from our 
entrance nook & bed frame. 
I dipped into my extra wood bucket & picked out a few that I liked and got to work! 

Here is a sneak peak of mine! 


I did a TON of DIY projects on Sunday which happened to be Easter. I wasn't feeling the greatest & Ryan knows:
1. I LOVE banana pancakes 2. I love cute little things 3. I LOVE my DIY time....he knew that once I started to craft that I wouldn't stop to eat or even pee! I get so caught up & really do not like stopping- I just loose track! Plus, I think he heard me talking to my family about how since it is just Ryan & I we don't really get into the holidays :/ I miss holiday spirit! Growing up we always went all out for every little holiday that is is just weird to not. But look what he did! 
Gluten Free & Vegan Bunny Banana Pancake! Brownie points awarded here. 

Dang my need to be creative! I wish I was getting paid to DIY, 
that would be the best of both worlds.... Do what I love & have a job....too good to be true I guess. 

Okay, back to those awesome wood & plant accents, I am not 100% sure what to call them. 
What do you guys think they are called? 
Here are the supplies I used. 
a saw
I use this glue when I do my reclaimed wood artwork as well. It is drys strong & works great!
Wooden shingles-you can buy a bundle of them at Home Depot or Lowe's for pretty cheap!
I bought these lovely little greenery items from Micheals (use your coupons!)...Ryan took 10 steps in & said I should probably wait in the car huh & walked right back out. No argument there! I enjoying wondering up & down every aisle even though I have a list of what I need & pretty much know exactly where it is in the store- I just like seeing everything! Great Inspiration & who knows, sometimes I find what I need but in a different option or something similar that might work even better! 

I am in a group text with my two besties. We were telling each other what we were doing on Easter am.... this was my response. 
So I cut/ broke some of the shingles just about in half. I messed around what the layout of them for a few minutes. After changing the placement of the shingles various times until I found the look I wanted, I used the wood glue to hold their placement.

Very carefully I moved all three over out of the way.  
I added a small amount of weight on top of all three to aid the glue in the drying process. 

Here is the outcome! I LOVE them! 
I am going to make sets of three for others if interested let me know! 



I think it would be fun to make these so you could change out the greenery/flowers with the season! 
I think I will do that actually! 

Do you have a favorite DIY from HGTV? Which one should I do next?  


No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs