Iguanas Are Gross!

31.3.15

Anyone else agree with me on this one? Iguanas creepy me out! So do bearded dragons, komodo dragons, those little lizards that try and take over FL yards! 

Okay, so now that I have those creepy little creatures in my head I will move on & show you my new piece...
The Iguana Bridge! 

So for anyone that has ever flown into Boston's Logan International Airport you know that leaving (when you aren't use to it) it just a strange struggle. Luckily Ryan was driving so I has the chance to take all the scenery in. This is the first time I notice the
Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge
& thought of using it in artwork. 

After many sketches and tweaks, I finally came up with a combination of the two objects. 

There are some pretty cool paintings of iguana out there so if mine really isn't your thing be sure to check out other artwork! I found tons through yours truly, google.com
Ryan was concerned that people would wonder who took this photo....I doubt that is what any of you are thinking but if you are concerned I used my timer on my IPhone 6 and 
leaned it against something :) 
BAM! 
A photo of my working!! 
So normally I used water resistant, smear free black ink pens of various sizes to do my outlining and touch ups...it is just my style I guess. This time I switched it up and did black watercolor as the outline. I don't think I will be doing this again on similar paintings of this style due to the next few steps I do to create the back ground. No worries- now I know!

Here is a close up of the detail. I didn't want to do a complete scale look to keep the focus else where.
Luckily I glued the reclaimed wood background together the other day. So once the painting part was done I was all set and ready to start nailing! The lady that lives below is probably hates us. I feel terrible but I also need to get work done! I always wait until the afternoons :/ hope that works!
See, self taken photos with the wonderful timer option on the IPhone 6...whatever it works fine for now.

I incorporated the same nailing with wire/string as I did in my Octo-Wheel 
(that is currently hanging in the entry way of 
Out of the Blue Art gallery & More in Cambridge off Massachusetts Ave) 
 There it is as you walk in their front entrance. 
This time with this look I used silver thread instead of wire. I wanted a more subtle look. 
As you can see, you know that something is there but it doesn't take away from everything else that is happening in the artwork. 
Here is the other side. This side is why I didn't want to use thicker wire. With all the detail in the face, I felt the wire would  be too much. 

& here is the final outcome!

As always, I would love to know what you think. I am open to criticism as that is what will make me better. You can view some on my painting inspirations here on my 

Be happy! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs