DIY Palette & Coffee Cup Holder

17.3.15

Do you love wooden palette decor? So do I! 

While I was home visiting my family back in Venice, FL we did some DIY projects. My mom has a list of those she keeps just for me when I come now. 

My mom found on image of a coffee cup holder made from a palette. She found the image from Pinterest and pretty instantly sent it to me via Facebook asking me to make her one. I just wanted to thank Katelyn, the blogger of DIY Palette Coffee Cup Holder for her adorable little creation! My mom has received many compliments already. 


Once I told my mom I could make this for her I listed off the materials we would need. That is where we ran into trouble. My mom and step dad are not the handiest of people so I had to get creative with the tools I was using to create this. 

Here is a sneak peak of the final project!

While I was doing yoga on their patio after a rather hot run for 8am I noticed a wooden bed frame over in the corner. They recently re did my little brothers room and took apart his bunk bed. They were planning on eventually just tossing the bed...this is like a gold mine for me! I love when people want to get rid of old wood! So I took apart the bed, which at the time my mom thought was nice of me to do...little did she know I was going to use the wooden slats from the bed to create her wooden coffee cup holder. Luckily my Nana had a saw, we found some sand paper and the rest of the materials we needed laying around. 

So we got to work! My mom and one of my sisters, Joeli, even helped out! 


Using a very old wobbly saw with no clams was an interesting way to cut wood...so we were checking lengths to be safe along the way. 

Joeli got to work sanding the ends that were cut just to be safe with all the kiddos in the house. 

Since it was suppose to resemble a palette, perfect is not in this DIY projects vocabulary. 
I used nails that had laying around and was not picky with their layout...some even bent in at the end of nailing....but it just added character :)

Hammering on this flooring was...not the greatest idea, but it got the job done. 

It held up! 
\

I really wanted a white paint sharpie but that was not in the cards for this moment so I used what I had. It worked, but to be honest I am not thrilled with the turn out on the writing. It was a chalky material that just got thicker as you used it which restricted fine lines. 
Here it is! The final outcome of our own version of the DIY Coffee Cup Holder. 

Have fun with your DIYs! Make them your own.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs