Candid Tips On Starting An Online Business

11.1.16



Oh, Hello!  


I am not just a blogger here on Brushes & Bolts. I also own TOM & Orrow Boutique, a small online shop. It started from nothing, I had basically no connections, just me working from home in a new big city, knowing my passion but not a damn clue on how to make it a career, a successful business.

We aren't there yet, but we are well on the way!

I used a lot of you readers & bloggers to learn about how to turn your passion into you day to day job, how to turn your craft/hobby into a business. In return for all the useful information you gave me, I want to give what I have learned back!

In this blog you will find examples from personal experience along with some links to sources I have used or found helpful. There are many I have not included because well, that gives everything away!


First thing is first, do your research. 
Research everything about your product market, compare it-make a list of yours and all other similar & be sure to know what makes yours different. Why do people want your product vs others? Do have have something need? Why would people want your product? 

Example: At Tom & Orrow we provide you accessories that allow you to express who you are through your style. Each & every accessory is different from the next, all being handmade and one of a kind. We also support local & other small shops. We offer high quality & truly unique products that everyone can enjoy.


Get & Stay Focus:
Focus on your product and its quality. Narrow down your inventory-avoid scope creep! I had this bad! I wanted to make so many things but never stopped to focus on one product and make it great. Now, with my online shop I test out products, wear them to get feedback. After that, I make more to see what styles of the products go over well and what ones don't. I focus on different accessories per month to build a following and keep consistent postings all while staying focused on building a unique yet quality inventory .

Build a structured daily routine. This will help you, your business and your customers. Having a start up means you will be working- always. Remember to pencil in some time for yourself or if you are anything like me (a passionate crafty workaholic) you will keeping beading or knitting instead of going for a jog or hitting hot yoga*.

*I like to combine them. I will hit the treadmill or elliptical while I knit, crochet, draft blogs and edit photos. 

There are so many sources for bloggers out there. Almost every blogger offers a Blogger Planner.  

Example: I first has an Etsy shop- was not successful! I was all over the place with my products, when I worked and my blog posts. I never set a target audience so my sales were not consistent. Basically, I was a mess. 

Make your Brand:
Your brand is what drives people to you and your products. Establish your brand to make it clear to your audience what your bring to their life.



Be Consistent:
Be frigging consistent! This is something I am still working on. I have no business background and my mind is like a damn craft store with an endless amount of products all while on a carousel! Just round and round my thoughts and ideas go-seriously.

Get social:
Join blogger groups, entrepreneur associations and other support systems. I still believe that if you know the right people and have the drive within your passion you will make your dream job happen.


I use these wooden icons throughout my website because they go perfect with my brand. 
 
 
See more icons at Icons- My Site My Way


Make use of all those social media platforms. You don't need to b on everyone all day everyday but the ones you are on, be active! Like, comment, share, re-post, tag, hashtag & track them with Google Analytics or another free tracking tool. 

Some Facebook Groups I have joined that I am happy with are:

  1. Boston Bloggers  Look up your city to see if there is a blogging community
  2. For Love + Money with Caitlin Bacher 
  3. Savvy Business Owners
  4. Personal Fav: Female Entrepreneur Association 

Number 2 & 4 both offer wonderful emails and online courses! 



Don't take things personal:
You are a business, or on your way to becoming one. Do not take things personal. Some people will not like your products, pricing or, you. Just be you & be true to yourself along with your brand. I am not saying be rude or mean if things go south. Take feedback & reviews and apply them to better your business. Remember that as long as you believe in yourself and you are true to yourself and your brand, some negative thoughts & comments might happen but do not let them hold you back!

Photography:
Good quality photos go along way. Your photos should flow with your brand. You want people to see your photo & think of YOU! There are many apps you can use to help you with photos. Personally, I stick with After Photo & Layout, which is attached to Instagram. They work well for me. If you have a friend that does photography maybe collaborate. If you have a budget set for photography-great, use it but be sure to find a photography that will get your brand jumping out of your photos. 

I do all of my photos but I enjoy it! I am not against collaborating at all...actually hopefully doing it soon! Just have not had the budget yet. 


Follow our BUSINESS TIPS 
Pinterest Board for some 
links to business tips. 



Want some great sources? You should! You can get the links to some great sources to help you build your passion into a business over at my shop blog: TOM & Orrow Boutique Blog 



This by know means is me telling you what to do or that is is guarantee to make you successful. This is me sharing some personal experience and offering you to take what you want from it. I wish you all the best in your journey. 

Always feel free to contact me about anything and I promise to answer candidly. 

Happy Monday Loves. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs