Creative Compulsive Disorder

1.2.16

Creative Compulsive Disorder: 
    it is a real thing, 
                     at least to me. 

Are you so damn creative that sometimes you wish you weren't? Amen Sister! 




Many view my creative as a skill, a talent. Many have told me I am lucky to be so creative or that they wish they could be creative. When asked what my strengths and weaknesses are in job interviews my answer is always my creativity for both. Does anyone else feel like this?

Sometimes I want to shut off my creativity. It is exhausting! Give my some
soy* and I just might cry about it. (*Soy makes me really emotional!)
I live, breath, eat, think and strive to continually be creative. I would never wish
I wasn't, but it is all I know. My husband Ryan, is I wouldn't say, not creative but
certainly no where near my level of creative thinking. He is logical, needs a strict
you do this & you get this in return. Compared to him many would say I am a mess!
I might be, I am I am a super organize mess.

I wanted to write about this because less than a year ago I started an online boutique
called TOM & Orrow, accessories that show who you are through your style.
It is going well but could be better, should be better! My creative ways are killing me
right now. Staying focused, reading and learning the most I can about business and
implementing it all into my work is killing my creative vibe. I spend days on the
computer reading, updating, "fixing", changing and trying to get my sh*t together
business wise but all while doing that in the back of my thoughts there is a
little me standing all awkward*in a yoga pose holding a tools just waiting for
me to be like-game on, let's make something or go outside for a walk.

I feel guilty! I feel like I have to just keep going and going and going. I know
I don't need to, I know I need to take breaks, get outside, log out, avoid checking
Instagram but it harder than it sounds. Time escapes me when my face in stuck to the
screen of my computer trying to be a damn sponge absorbing as much knowledge I can
to help me, but I am just hurting myself. My husband came home the other day and made a comment that I hadn't changed. I was still in the over sized sweater I slept in the night before with the same messy bun, in the same chair. THAT IS NOT ME. I do not function like this. I get up early, drink way too much coffee, workout in the mornings, toss some ripped jeans and wedges on just because and than get to work. Right now, I am in a rut. Constantly fitting my creative thoughts through the day and drowning in my own creative mess.

I know I am not alone here because I have been reading around (surprise, surprise).
I would love to hear from other creatives how the heck they do it! Maybe it is the working
from home that is really getting to me. No people watching or socializing makes me loss it. I talk my husbands ear off when he gets home. Another human to interact with, yay!
Sometimes I do not even get outside...this is where I laugh at myself! Seriously Amanda, you can't take 20 minutes to just breath in fresh air?
I try really hard to follow my schedule, tune out from work but hot damn, it is hard!
I need like 8 hours of creativity, 1 hour outside, 1 hour of hot steamy yoga, 2 hours with
face to face human conversion & 1 hour of activity a day. Yet right now it is more like
10 hours of staring at a computer probably causing my LASIK to be like "I didn't sign up
for this shit" and maybe 30 minutes of cardio in a glass lab cage of an apartment gym.
Like anyone in this building wants to watch me to those frog leg circuits. Ladies, you know those killer weird looking leg moves? They work but I feel so strange doing them in public.

*I stand & sit so awkward that I make you feel uncomfortable. Really, ask around.



Times I am creative and would rather not be: 
Cooking: I can not follow instructions/measurements to save my life!
My husband goes insane because I had seeds and spices to everything &
substitute all the "good stuff".

Gifts: OH MY GOSH, gift buying takes me forever! I think about it in so much depth.
I try to remember that one, the person probably still won't love/use it as much as
I think and 2, who cares- it is the thought that counts. I have spent so many hours
trying to fine or design the perfect gift for everyone I buy gifts for- it is exhausting!
Just buy a damn gift already!

Business: My creativity is good here but also is causing me so much added frustration.
Having endless amounts of ideas is not helping me, it is hurting me.

Blogging & Product Titles: I am always trying to get uber creative, well not trying
but it just falls out of me. Sometimes creativity in your blog post title is no bueno.
Who is going to search for "So Blue, So you" ?? NO ONE IS!
I titled one of my necklaces that. After I did a webinar with
  Caitlin Bacher & Maya Elious I went to work on my products which lead to
starting fresh with product titles, alt text and product content.
I laughed at most of what I had originally...like "So Blue, So You".

Hosting Parties: I LOVE hosting parties! I also HATE hosting them.
I over think everything from decor to what people will be doing.

Moving Stuff: Yup, I move everything and anything. I will just go around
folding things, arranging them, putting them back to their original spots.
I create extra steps! Like when I do laundry...seriously, why can I not just
leave everything where it is to dry, fold it, hang it and put it away.

Saying No: When people ask me to creative, design, write or anything
creative for them I CAN'T SAY NO! I just can not do it. Can you draw my a tattoo?
I love your hand writing, can you write my invitations for me? Will you come up
with something creative to do at the event? I love you scarves, will you teach me how it knit?
I have always wanted a wrap bracelet, is it easy to do? Will you teach me?
I want to be clear, I LOVE doing all of these things!
Seriously, like I love when people ask me! The issue is I can't say no,
no matter how swamped I am. Also, part of my business is that I do teach you how to make everything I make, but it is a class so you have to pay just like everyone else.

Charging for you skills: Once people (some friends, family, acquaintances)
hear that I am charging them, they get all blank faced and googly eyed. Whhhaaatttt?
I am getting better with this but to be a serious business starts with being serious about
myself. Doing little "favors" for everyone who I know or that asks
is not going to get me viewed seriously. Still love y'all. A trade of services is
 one thing, but when it is expected for free it honestly just upsets me.
The best is when you do all the work and than poof!
They are gone.
I just came across this blog: Client Wants Free Work that should help with replies.


Does any of this connect with you? If so, share some love! 

What are some things that help you with your creative compulsive disorder? 


How do you stack on track with being a creative blogger and easily distracted having 
more ideas than your mind can even store? 


There is a blogger named JORDANNAJordanna is a blogger for creatives
and her post Why A Short Work Day Is Better For Creatives  helped me to
snap out of the "creativity sucks" mood I was in. 

She has another post that totally hit home with me 

UPDATE: After reading the above posts from Jordanna, 
I signed up for her email to receive her 
5 Practices That Changed My Life! 
THANK YOU JORDANNA for this! I wrote 
this post days before I signed up for you email 
and man, it could not have been better timing. 
I highly advise anyone that is a creativepreneur 
to sign up and absorb this women's knowledge 
through her experience. Somethings mentioned 
in the first email where things I have let slip while 
others are inspiring. I just wanted to take a moment 
to thank you Jordanna for this reminder for how 
important certain things are. 

If you are a creative and are looking to relate or hear other creatives 
experiences and ways, be sure to head over to the above links!


I am working on heaps of new blog posts. Also, realizing half the 
posts I have 
written and scheduled were never even posted! WTF Blogspot?
I have been so focused on  TOM & Orrow I didn't even notice 
until last night. 

What things do you want to read or see on my blog? Fashion, DIY, travel, 
my candid thoughts? Please do tell me so I can give you want to you rather 
than something that totally turns you off. 


Later Loves. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs